Thursday, April 17, 2008

Special Ed Law Conferences

If, like me, you are a special ed law junkie, there are a number of special ed conferences and education law conferences one can attend to meet other special ed law junkies. In March, I attended the conference of the American Council on Rural Special education, or ACRES. In addition to presenting an Update on Special Education Law, I had a meeting with the new Secretary of OSERS and the new Director of OSEP about rural special education issues. Although I spoke a lot at the meeting, a fuller listing of my thoughts about rural issues in special education are spread across two recent posts. I also attended a number of interesting educational sessions, including a day-long workshop on 21st Century learners. As always there were plenty of networking opportunities and meetings with old friends.


A couple weeks ago, I attended the Conference of the Council for Exceptional Children in Boston. There I presented my first poster session- on the role of the teacher in the IEP team meeting, focusing upon the IDEA'04 provisions providing for the excusal and non-attendance of IEP team members. I also attended a number of great sessions including many organized by the CEC Public Policy department staff Deb Ziegler and Kim Hymes. Another session forecasting IDEA hot issues for the future was very interesting. Also, I learned of a fascinating study showing that transition outcomes may not be very good for kids with disabilities. Once again, I made a large number of new contacts with potential business associates as well as having plenty of time for visits with friends.


Early next month I will be at the LRP Institute on Special Ed Law in Charlotte. Please look me up if you're going to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment